January 2 2021
What a weird year. The omnipresent undercurrent of vitriol in the US that has been a byproduct of racial tensions, police brutality, pandemic anxiety, a tumultuous election, and general uncertainty has been a weight felt by many. I’ve been incredibly fortunate in that I’ve been fairly insulated from many of the greater societal maladies of the past lap around the sun. I did however find myself on the wrong side of a set of handcuffs while jogging in my neighborhood. Running while in a blue shirt was a poor choice on the day a neighbor made an unsubstantiated police report about a domestic dispute incident in the area. That was surprising if nothing else. Soph and I also had a near daily evacuation scare for a month or so when our new home (good news, more on that in a minute!) was bookended by the largest wildfire in Colorado history, and a near equally sized inferno to the North burning on the state line. I let myself fall into the trap of concluding that 2020 was an awful year, but when I look back on it, I find that is a poor opinion. On paper, I had a great year and it’s important, I believe, to recognize that.
- I skied with lots of friends before the lockdowns.
- Bought my dream car and it took me places.
- After two years the hops I planted finally flowered!
- Did some technical climbing
- Ran the most I have in a decade.
- My cousin and I signed up for a 50k that was eventually cancelled at the last minute due to the pandemic. Even though I wasn’t training for time I managed to drop my 1600m time down to 5:32. I don’t think I’ve run a sub-six track mile since 2010.
- I had the opportunity to donate several times this year. To a guiding company in Kenya, to the Colorado Avalanche Information Center, and to Outreach Uganda
- Skied off a few mountains after climbing up them
- Nailed a number of 14ers.
- Remodeled a kitchen
- Did some van stuff.
- Celebrated Sophi’s 25th birthday in Fort Collins
- Bought an off the grid home and spent too much time performing much needed repairs and cleaning.
- Saw lots of friends!
- Most of them are featured above skiing or climbing. Others don’t like pictures taken :)
- Spent more time with family than I have in years
- Oh, and I got engaged to probably the best person on the planet, which is pretty rad if you ask me.
Here’s to 2021. May your lows be shallow and your highs limitless.